Cold Mountain

Cold Mountain

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Dec. 14 -- OMG -- less than two weeks to Christmas

I managed to get through Friday the 13th unscathed. In fact, I didn't realize it was the 13th until it was almost over.  Did my usual stuff...not much.

I did try to improve my path to the mailbox. I live on a dirt, gravel, mud, sand and rock road that once was partially paved but mostly isn't now. During wet weather (yes, we do have some) a huge puddle -- small pond -- forms out in front of my house in a low spot. My mailbox is almost inaccessible when the pond is there. I've been wanting to do something to make a dry path to the mailbox. Today the weather was warm enough to work outside so I shovelled some pebbles and gravel in close to the mailbox post and along the edge of the road. I   some of my sandy soil to help stabilize it. This might work unless we get super heavy rain...in which case I'll have to just wait it out. Rod, my neighbor, says the pond gets big enough to come well up into my driveway but I've not seen that, yet.

I also worked around the goldfish pond. It has been mostly frozen until today and the fish stay way down at the bottom. The filter has been clean but the water has been dropping a little and I don't want it to get too low. I filled it back up a couple inches and the fish seemed to realize something was happening...but still stayed way at the bottom. I think that's best because it  still freezes over at night. I'm not feeding them now.

I am feeding the birds and that keeps me busy. Small birds come to the feeders and eat and throw seed down on the ground where the doves can eat it. I get a few quail but I've been throwing some seed back in the chamisa/saltbush where they seem to live.  The rabbits get a few carrot peelings now and then. I saw a coyote in the neighborhood today so I'm staying watchful...and the hawks and owls are around.

I've mentioned before about the wildlife I have around my house. I'm always seeing something new,   This is how I perceive my house and yard...




This is how it really is and how the local wildlife sees my house and yard...




I ended my afternoon at Kaktus brewery in Bernalillo. They had a few folks come in and stay a while and some people bought growlers but I'm concerned about their future.  I'd like to help them out somehow with marketing.



Supper was a fritatta...not bad.

Saturday...this morning...I needed to go to the big Cottonwood Mall and pick up something from JC Penneys that I ordered online. This was my first visit to the mall and I took a walk around to see what they had there.  They have four anchor stores...Penneys, Macy's, Dillard's and Sears. There is a large vacant space where another big store could go...no idea who was there and left. The place has over a dozen shoe stores.  There were a bunch of jewelry stores and the usual food court. The mall is indoors and two floors with a open atrium on the 2nd floor looking down to the lower level. It seemed busy and I don't recall seeing many empty store spaces.

It's getting close to Christmas and I have some packages to mail so I worked on that. I was thwarted at almost every turn due to one thing or another. I finally got them wrapped and ready to go...almost.  I'll get them mailed off tomorrow or Monday.

I made fudge...one of my holiday traditions, I tried to make it "Mexican fudge" by adding coffee and cinnamon but I couldn't taste much difference.

Supper was chili and chips and I watched the KU - UNM basketball game. The Lobos played well but lost by 17.

Dessert was fudge and espresso...I'll be up all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment