Cold Mountain

Cold Mountain

Monday, December 16, 2013

December 16 - a visit from old friends

Yesterday, Sunday, I got myself organized and went to church...really.  And it was the 8:30 service. Now my church membership is still with Faith in Jefferson City but I'm looking for a local church.  There is one pretty close to me (LCMS) that I visited once but it seemed like a preschool with a church attached as an after thought. It didn't look or feel like a church.

Calvary LCMS is, by all appearances, a real church both inside and out. I met the Pastor briefly and the members seemed friendly toward each other but not overly chummy. Like any other Lutheran church, they didn't run over and greet the new visitor...that seemed familiar. I noticed that when I went in I sat at the approximate spot where I sat at my old church...left side and 1/3 the way back. I also noticed that I was one of the youngest people there. They seemed to be musical...two hymns before the service started and then several more. The Pastor chants and the congregation chants back in response. That was different but interesting....kind of medieval but I like traditional services. They seem to have communion only twice a month and then only in the early service.  The late (11 AM) service is the "Family" service. I don't know what that means. The Pastor did a childrens' sermon at the early service but there was only 4 kids.  So, I think this might work out but I'd like to see the late service, too.

Lunch was at O'Neill's Irish Pub over on Central and Washington ave. I had a half Reuben sandwich and a Smithwicks. I'm glad they do half sandwiches.

I was looking for the Petanque club that plays on Sundays in Bataan Park. They weren't there. I've not seen any sign of life from them since the Octoberfest tournament.

Today, December 16th, was sunny and pretty warm....all the way up to 52 degrees. After my morning dilly-dally time I managed to get my packages down to the UPS store and get them sent off. They will be delivered on Thursday.

Watson and I decided to clean house so we vacuumed and dusted and did some mopping. It was getting hot so I opened some windows and aired out the house. It was all a big improvement.

I got a call yesterday from Edith Seales, a bocce friend from JC. She and Paul Meyers were heading to Phoenix and would spend the day in Albuquerque and wanted to meet for supper. That was great -- I miss my old bocce friends. I got to their hotel and then we walked across the street to the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center where they have a very nice restaurant. We ate and talked until we were the last people there and it was getting time to close. We had a good time and it was good seeing them again. They will stop again on the way back east in April.

I ended the day watching a Chuck Barry concert/documentary on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment