Cold Mountain

Cold Mountain

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Dec. 26 -- St. Stephen's Day

Christmas was here and gone already. Every year it seems that Christmas gets the "Bum's rush" and the door slams shut as it goes. Today is Boxing Day or St. Stephen's Day. Since I don't have any servants to supply with gifts, I don't observe Boxing Day so I'm left with St. Stephen's Day.  Nothing like a good old fashioned stoning to get you past the post-Christmas blahs.


Christmas Eve was nice and I had quite a surprise. I thought that I was invited to Rod's house for New Year's Eve but the invitation was for Christmas Eve. Luckily he stopped by to tell me what time I was expected -- otherwise I would have missed it. I was wondering what I would do for Christmas Eve since the local church seemed not to be doing anything (what???!!!).  Also I didn't want to get caught up in the luminaries tour down in Old Town.  We had a nice time with tons of food to eat. I took a bottle of wine and some homebrew.  I met Rod's family .. including Rod II and Rod III... and his daughter  and the whole family ....minus one grandchild who was working.  All families have a few quirks or oddball members but they all seem to get along great and we had a good visit. Rod III is attending UNM and lives and works close to campus...and is majoring in History.

I made French Toast for breakfast on Christmas. I put off opening my presents until Christmas Day....most of them. I got several good books to keep me busy for a while.  Santa (me) brought a Petanque set and a table-top telescope.  Jill got me a Beck dvd which I will really enjoy. Also, Santa got me a literary crossword book.

Christmas dinner was a large ham steak and oven roasted vegetables (broccoli and leeks) and mashed potatoes with apple crumble for dessert. It was all good but I overdid it on the broccoli and paid for it later. I watched one of my Beck stories and was in bed reasonably early.

This morning I woke up at 4:30 in pain.....too much broccoli. I finally got up at 5:30 and read for a while (Henry Hudson book) then went back to bed about 8 AM for a while.  I was considering having an open house on St. Stephen's day but I'm really glad I didn't.

Lunch was at Flying Star -- a free bagel and cream cheese and then off to the grocery store.

Uneventful evening watching DVDs that have to go back to the library tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment