Cold Mountain

Cold Mountain

Thursday, December 12, 2013

December 12....Our Lady of Guadalupe Day...and other things

 My day seems to be caught in with fussing with customer service. I got an email from my satellite TV folks saying that my monthly direct billing to my credit card was refused and my bill would be overdue unless I paid pronto. WHAT?? I don't have direct billing to any credit card. And -- I checked my bank records and they were paid as usual. Finally after failing to get through to them on the handy-dandy website I had to call a human who was as confused as I was. She confirmed that everything was paid and couldn't explain why my account was set up for direct billing. She fixed it...she says. Stay tuned. The satellite TV (DISH) is a complete rip-off as far as I can tell and I'm sorry I signed up for their service.

Next up -- Medicare. I got a statement from my health insurance company saying that they were refusing my claims for recent doctor visits ($700.00!!!) because they haven't heard anything from Medicare. I checked with Medicare and guess what? The doctors never submitted a Medicare claim. I called the doctors' accounting/billing office and, sure enough, they never submitted a claim..."oh, you have Medicare". I just turned 65 so this is my first encounter with Medicare.....does not bode well....but it's not their fault.

Third customer service issue was with PNM - my electric company - but that was my fault so I won't talk about that.   You get the idea.

Last night I went to Kaktus Brewing in Bernalillo - my adopted microbrewery. They just opened in October and I'm a little worried about them. They are in that rough time period when a small business thinks it is going along fine but then things start to slack off and they get worried. I showed up actually before they officially opened and had my little face against the window so they had to let me in. More about them on a later post, probably.

Anyway, last night they had live music...two guys, a guitar and an accordion (David and Felix from Felix De Los Gatos). Interesting music and a good evening. The place wasn't full but it was reasonably busy. It is small so three or four tables of people looks like a crowd. I took a couple bottles of my current homebrew to share with the staff/owners and it was a big hit. I had a bunch of beer ingredients and supplies left over because I hadn't been able to brew anything while I was moving and things were packed away. I made 5 gallons of Amber/Rye ale with a little bit of light chocolate malt for coloring. The beer was hopped pretty heavily, I thought, but the final version is only moderately hoppy. I think the hops didn't age as well as the malt. But...the final product is great...one of my best beers.

Today is my friend, Jeanne's, birthday. She shares it with Our Lady of Guadalupe whose fiesta day is today, as well. I called to wish here happy birthday (Jeanne, not OLofG) and we had a good long chat. Always good to talk with her.  I sent her some beer as an experiment to see if it makes the trip.

I've been enjoying the Spanish language Christmas music on the radio. It sometimes is in English and Spanish and some of the songs are recognizable...except they are in Spanish.

I have to get on the stick and do some minor grocery shopping and maybe some Christmas shopping........more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment