Cold Mountain

Cold Mountain

Thursday, January 16, 2014

January 15th -- Rail Runner to Santa Fe and Yard Work

Tuesday, January 14th, I decided to accomplish something I was wanting to do since before I moved here. I took the Rail Runner Express up to Santa Fe for the day.



The round trip ticket -- a day pass -- cost me $5.00. I got a slight senior discount and $1.00 off for buying over the Internet. The train left at 10:08 AM...the last one until late afternoon...and took a hour to reach Santa Fe depot. The train was not crowded at all.

At Santo Domingo


While on the platform waiting for the train I met Mary, an Indian lady from Santo Domingo Pueblo. She was going to Santa Fe to sell some of her jewelry on the plaza. She showed me what she had and I bought Jill a small pair of beaded ear rings -- "black jade and coral" Mary said. They were very simple. I paid $8.00.  She could catch the train at Santo Domingo but she can make a sale in Bernalillo that will pay for her trip.  Not a bad way to start her day.



The train puts you out at The Railyard -- a shopping and art district. In January it was very quiet and cold but in warmer weather it should be a fun spot.  I spent the afternoon there instead of taking the free shuttle to the plaza.  While there I visited...

  • A fly fishing shop -- lots of good stuff and some information. They have a guide service ($200 for 1/2 day...yikes).
  • I had coffee and a cookie at the Flying Star in the rail yard
  • I roamed around in the REI store...not as big as some but they have some good stuff
  • I found an upscale kitchen store -- everything is upscale here -- and they didn't have what I wanted. I'm still looking for a red/white checked tablecloth.
  • I wandered into a bike shop-- except these were electric bikes. They are like a mo-ped but have a battery assist and cost $3500 at the low end.
  • I found a western store -- I think that's what that was. All sorts of Indian pawn jewelry and boots and hats but also antiques and pottery.
  • I had a good pulled pork bbq lunch with slaw and potato salad at a little bbq place.
  • I found a super upscale furniture store....walked in and walked out.
  • I found a luxury outdoor furniture store. A chair I liked cost $900. I'd have to do a lot of sitting to get my money's worth.
  • There is an antique warehouse with all kinds of Spanish colonial stuff and things that look like Spanish colonial stuff. There are maybe 150 dismantled antique doors of all shapes and sizes -- what happened to the houses?
  • I ended the afternoon stroll at a coffee shop that looks out on the train depot.

I got back on the train and we were on our way south at 4:14 PM. We pulled in at Bernalillo at 5:15.  I stopped off for a few groceries on the way home.  Supper was leftover chicken chowder. TV was mostly PBS and HGTV.


Wednesday was pretty warm and a good day to work outside. I worked with the pond and woke up the fish. They have been in semi-hibernation at the bottom of the pond. I added water to raise the water level and my well water is a little warmer so they were stimulated out of their stupor.  The pump filters were almost clogged...I haven't cleaned them out in several days. I pulled some string algae out of the pond but there is still lots there.


I cut back a large sage bush that is overpowering a colony of yucca plants. The yucca puts out some nice flower stalks so I'd like them to be not so crowded. As I cut back the sage bush it looked pretty good, too.


I stayed around the house all day. I had pancakes and sausage for supper and watched NOVA on PBS. Jill called and we talked about the house for a while. She is stressing out about the roof repair that she may or may not have to deal with. She needs to chill.


I ended the day by sending a long email to NMAF about their web page. I hope I didn't stomp on too many toes but I think they are somewhat out of touch with what they are trying to do. They need to refocus and invest a little more in what they are trying to get across.








No comments:

Post a Comment