March 13 - Thursday. Spent most of the day outside. I watered the bocce court a few times. It is getting pretty solid. I can hardly wait for the bocce balls to arrive.
This was the end of my week-long experiment to deprive the stream of sunlight to kill off the algae. I pulled off the tarp and....there was the algae. It didn't look healthy but it was still there and it was clogging up the stream more and more. I'm losing 4 inches of water every day. I got out my scrubby brush and my new bucket and went to work pulling out the algae by hand. I pulled out a bunch of rocks with algae anchored on them. I probably pulled out 4 or 5 gallons of algae and cleared out the stream to make the flow better. I know it won't stay that way....it will fill up again unless I can get something to kill off the algae.
Lunch was a sandwich. I helped Rod in the afternoon work on Nate's French doors. It was a problem with the sweep and insulation. We went to Lowe's twice to get it done right. I had Rod look at sliding patio doors while we were there.
I went to Kaktus for supper and some music. Stew and his wife came in and we had a nice visit. They paid for my beer, Jill called and told me she has an interview in New York City next week so she has to drop everything and go. This is her 2nd interview so she is excited. I'm not sure this is the right place for her. Cost of living is so high that she will have less than she has now. I came home and watched a little TV. Jill called again...she will probably take the train because flying is too costly.
March 14 -- Friday. It's supposed to rain and there is rain over on the mountain. I went ahead and hosed down the bocce court anyway. The pond looks good and didn't leak overnight. I spent time working on bills -- need to start my taxes pretty soon.
I had lunch at Wendys and then went to the bank to get some cash. On the way back I stopped at Matthewson winery just off of rt 528. I tasted several wines and bought a bottle of Sangiovese. I had a nice chat with the vintner who is also the brew master at Kaktus Brewing.
I stopped at the "iron works" across from the winery to see if they had iron nails. They don't and don't seem to have anything but gates. Next, I stopped at the Just Sprinklers store and talked to the guy about algae.I bought a can of algae-cide crystals which should kill off all of the algae.
Supper was pasta with meatballs and tomato sauce. We had rain and more rain during the afternoon...a pretty good soaking. On a whim I went to the Star Center to see the NM Stars arena football team play the Amarillo Venom. I've never seen arena football...it's cramped and I wasn't too impressed but it was only 10 minutes away and fun for the evening...the Stars were losing 21-42 when I left to give Watson his shot. I came home and watched some TV before bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment