Cold Mountain

Cold Mountain

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

March 4 - More Bocce Work and Goya Exhibit

March 3rd - Monday. A nice day.  l called Eric, the landscaper guy recommended by Betty and he told me where to find the landscape cloth I need. He says it isn't in 10 foot widths but they have it in 12 foot widths.

Rod and I worked most of the day leveling and installing the boards on the north side of the bocce court. It was not as uneven as it looked and everything went together pretty well. Rod is a big help with his knowledge of how to keep the boards level and his tools. I could have done this alone but it would not have been as easy or as good.

Lunch was a sandwich at home. I ended up having to go buy a couple more boards and eight posts.  Of course, Lowes couldn't cut the posts so I bought 4 by 4 posts 8 feet long that I'll cut in half.  I also had to get to the library to return my DVDs and get some new ones.

The goldfish pond needed some attention when I got home and I had to clean out the filters.
I was tired. My supper was polish sausage, boiled potatoes and sauerkraut. For TV, I watched Antiques Roadshow and a Cadfael DVD.




Tuesday, March 4th --  cloudy. I worked a little on the new wood and got the posts cut and all of the new wood painted with the waterproofing. The cutting wasn't bad with the crosscut saw.

I got cleaned up and went to Santa Fe, driving this time. Santa Fe is only 37 miles away so you can get there pretty fast but you will spend more time trying to find a place to park or trying to get to where you want to be.

I wanted to see the "Renaissance to Goya: prints and drawings from Spain" exhibit at the NM Museum of Art. This is the only stop for the travelling exhibit in the US.  The drawings and prints were mostly quite small -- maybe 5" by 7" more or less. I only recognized a few artist's names.... Diego Velázquez and Francisco de Goya...but there were many others. Mostly it was religious art but Goya did some secular and war-time art.

There was an elementary school class going right in front of me with a museum guide talking about the art. The pieces were too small for the students to see much and the guide just kept explaining things... There were pictures of heretics and saints being butchered and a few pictures of the circumcision of Jesus so I guess there will be some interesting discussions around the dinner table in some homes tonight.  There were other things to see like a few Georgia O'Keefe paintings and some by Gustav Bauman.

I only had two hours on my parking meter so I left the museum and went to the restaurant on the plaza for a late lunch. I got a veggie soy burger, thinking that Santa Fe might be a place to get a good one. It's a tourist trap cafe and it wasn't very good. The French fries weren't very good either. I've had huevos rancheros there beforeand they were good so I should just get breakfast there...not many tourists eat there for breakfast.

I headed for home and the drive back was uneventful. I stopped at Kaktus to try the new beer and talked to a couple guys who were there for the first time. One was from North Carolina znd knew his beer lore and the other was local but seemed like going for a beer was sort of an exotic adventure. It was starting to rain when I left for home and rained fairly steady for a couple hours. Since I ate lunch late I didn't fix supper. I watched some TV

This was election day but none of the mayor candidates seemed qualified for the job. I didn't vote


No comments:

Post a Comment